Wiki Default coding for Osteoarthritis

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: M19.03
Primary osteoarthritis, wrist
Parent Code Notes: M19
Excludes1: polyarthritis (M15.-)
Excludes2: arthrosis of spine (M47.-)
hallux rigidus (M20.2)
osteoarthritis of spine (M47.-)

Category Notes
Osteoarthritis (M15-M19)
Excludes 2: osteoarthritis of spine (M47.-)
Arthropathies (M00-M25)
Includes: Disorders affecting predominantly peripheral (limb) joints

Coding Guidelines
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (M00-M99)
Note: Use an external cause code following the code for the musculoskeletal condition, if applicable, to identify the cause of the musculoskeletal condition
Excludes 2: arthropathic psoriasis (L40.5-)
certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
compartment syndrome (traumatic) (T79.A-)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)

caquay

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if there is any literature that tells what the default codes are for osteoarthritis (unspecified, primary, secondary)? I have heard default is primary, I have heard you have to go to unspecified. Can anyone provide me with any proof/literature to support their position?

i.e. For an xray report if the finding was osteoarthritis of the wrist, would you code M19.03- or M19.90? Why?

Thanks in advance!

rhondatalley

Networker
Best answers
osteoarthritis of wrist

The correct code for osteoarthritis of the wrist is M19.03 per the index entry under the main term of osteoarthritis and sub term of wrist. The last digit will be determined by the laterality.

Can anyone tell me if there is any literature that tells what the default codes are for osteoarthritis (unspecified, primary, secondary)? I have heard default is primary, I have heard you have to go to unspecified. Can anyone provide me with any proof/literature to support their position?

i.e. For an xray report if the finding was osteoarthritis of the wrist, would you code M19.03- or M19.90? Why?

Thanks in advance!

daedolos

Expert
Best answers

Thanks in advance!
Hope this helps.

Peace
@_*
https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/8866-pes-anserinus-cpt-code.html

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers

Thanks in advance!
It was in either the 3rd quarter or 4th quarter 2016 coding clinic where it states to default to primary.