Wiki Default coding for Osteoarthritis

caquay

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if there is any literature that tells what the default codes are for osteoarthritis (unspecified, primary, secondary)? I have heard default is primary, I have heard you have to go to unspecified. Can anyone provide me with any proof/literature to support their position?

i.e. For an xray report if the finding was osteoarthritis of the wrist, would you code M19.03- or M19.90? Why?

Thanks in advance!

osteoarthritis of wrist

The correct code for osteoarthritis of the wrist is M19.03 per the index entry under the main term of osteoarthritis and sub term of wrist. The last digit will be determined by the laterality.

Can anyone tell me if there is any literature that tells what the default codes are for osteoarthritis (unspecified, primary, secondary)? I have heard default is primary, I have heard you have to go to unspecified. Can anyone provide me with any proof/literature to support their position?

i.e. For an xray report if the finding was osteoarthritis of the wrist, would you code M19.03- or M19.90? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

Hope this helps.

Peace
@_*
https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/8866-pes-anserinus-cpt-code.html

Thanks in advance!

It was in either the 3rd quarter or 4th quarter 2016 coding clinic where it states to default to primary.