Wiki EMR access requiring full SS# for contract coding

JillMeyer

New
Best answers
I work for a national coding company doing contract auditing. I have a contract with this company. This company signs contracts with facilities in which we provide the services and more and more we are being required to get access into their EMR's to locate the documentation that needs auditing. To obtain access, we fill out the companies forms and up until now, I have never had to provide a full SS# to do this. I am very uncomfortable freely giving out my full SS# to a facility in which I am not directly contracted. I did this prior and then the contract fell through and I never provided auditing services to that client, however, they had my full SS# and I wonder what they are doing with it. Am I just being paranoid or is this a real issue?

I work for a national coding company doing contract auditing. I have a contract with this company. This company signs contracts with facilities in which we provide the services and more and more we are being required to get access into their EMR's to locate the documentation that needs auditing. To obtain access, we fill out the companies forms and up until now, I have never had to provide a full SS# to do this. I am very uncomfortable freely giving out my full SS# to a facility in which I am not directly contracted. I did this prior and then the contract fell through and I never provided auditing services to that client, however, they had my full SS# and I wonder what they are doing with it. Am I just being paranoid or is this a real issue?

Hello Jill,

I can understand your concern regarding others with access to your full SSN. I'm not sure if the full SSN is necessary, in order for the facilities to execute sanction screening. You will have access to facilities PHI which would require them to make sure procedures are in placed to check individuals for sanctions and to limit fraud, waste, and abuse. This applies to contractors and subcontractors. Your information is just as valuable and the company should have no problem explaining in writing the use of your full SSN.