Wiki Endovascular covered stent graft popliteal

kimcpccircc

Networker
Best answers
I have a covered stent graft using a 8 by 10 and aan 8 x 5 covered stent graft placement of the popliteal. (endovascular repair). The report reads just like a 34805 only of the popliteal. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have main body below...

angio.... popliteal artery aneurysm. measurements were taken and the sheath was changed to allow passage of the stent graft device. an 8 mm etc.. was placed and postdilated. completion angio....showed leak so a stent graft extension (34825 but this is for aaa or iliac...) was placed with completion angio etc..

FYI this case was from 2010. New code 37226 allows for the aneurysm diagnosis code this year. Thanks for all your input.

Kim

Last edited:
how about an unlisted code? 35151 is an open surgical procedure so I wouldn't use that. 34805 is for a AAA repair so I don't think i'd use that either.

after doing some digging, it looks like 37205 would be correct for this case:)

popliteal aneurysm

after thorough research I would like to add that stents are not covered for popliteal aneurysms. Dr Z-states you should use the 37799. Just in case this comes up for somebody else.

What about 37226? Why would you not use that?
Forgive me I'm having a blank moment :confused:
Per Payer Path 442.3 does meet medical necessity for 37226......I have a very similar case. No matter how I look at it the CPT description for 37226 is the closest to what my surgeon actually did even though he specified the stent was placed for a popliteal aneurysm.

What about 37226? Why would you not use that?
Forgive me I'm having a blank moment :confused:
Per Payer Path 442.3 does meet medical necessity for 37226......I have a very similar case. No matter how I look at it the CPT description for 37226 is the closest to what my surgeon actually did even though he specified the stent was placed for a popliteal aneurysm.

37226 is a new code for 2011 and would be correct for this case. (but not at the time of this post).

HTH :)

I went to the ViaBahn site and after much fumbling finally found their section with the coding. They also used 37226. My instincts were tight. Relief!!
Now on to the next chart :)
Thank you for your help.