Wiki Failed 3 times

TishCpc

Best answers
I am so bummed I have failed the CPC for the 3rd time, each time its the same. The 1st time I got a 58, the 2nd a 62 and now I just saw I got a 63, has anyone went through this. I feel like I should choose another career now. I have been doing medical billing since 2007 and I feel like I having a major wake up call. Im thinking this is just a lesson I need to over come but Im not sure.
Any advice fellow coders who have tamed the beast of CPC?
Any advice, tips or encouragement is greatly appreciated

Hi Tish,

I have a friend who just recently took the test for the 4th time.... and passed!! So yes, it happens. As we studied together i noticed she was overthinking everything. She was also letting her years of experience get in the way. What i mean by that is, she is very good at her job, but she wasn't doing her job, she was taking a test.... make sense? get in test mode, get out of your own way, and don't overthink it. Trust your answers! Don't give up, please.

Rhonda

Hi
sorry that you having trouble with exam. Do not give up. I took it three times before i passed in 2008. Now i hold two other certifications. Get in test taking mode. Take a review class, mark and highlight your books. For me a tabbing the book as much as you can I found that the most useful. If you belong to AAPC chapter talk to other members for tips or you can PM and I can try to help. What kind of learner are you? Visual, auditory etc. Once again do not give up.

I been billing for over 20 years and failed the test the first time. I had never did any coding except entering charges. But I did have to get out of my billing world and into the coding world. It was hard. It took me almost 2 years to complete the coding course when it normally takes 4 months. Anatomy and terminology was the hardest. I was thinking you have to be a doctor to understand this. Well after constant studying, research, and support from other coders. I was finally ready for the exam. Failed the first time at 67%..I studied my butt off the night before but found out later that I shouldn't cram the night before. So to prepare myself for the retake, I bought the study exams from AAPC..believe me they helped me pass the second time. I just did 50 questions, once a day, up until a couple of days before the test. No studying the night before. I barely passed the second time with 71%.

So hang in there...also keep in mind coding is not for everybody. If you are a awesome biller..stick with it. Maybe you ought to try for the CPB exam?

CCO.us Blitz has worked for many of us. The price is going up January 1st for the Blitz course. Allegedly they are considering a shorter access period at a reduced cost so not sure if both that happening 1/1 or just the increase.

Did you complete the whole exam? did you run out of time? As stated by Rhonda sometimes it the overthinking especially if you have been in the career field.

I failed the exam twice. I am now waiting on results. I don't know if i passed but did understand it better this time around. the key to it was the guidelines. i highlighted these in my coding books and read over before i chose an answer. i am confident that i passed this time. the first time i got a 68 second time 65.

I would say don't give up!! If this is what you want to do keep on until you get it. Someone told me they took it 5 times before they passed, this where I got my inspiration from. You are not the only one so be encouraged you will get it. I purchased the practice tests and I kept practicing. So hang in there!!!

Keep your head

I am so bummed I have failed the CPC for the 3rd time, each time its the same. The 1st time I got a 58, the 2nd a 62 and now I just saw I got a 63, has anyone went through this. I feel like I should choose another career now. I have been doing medical billing since 2007 and I feel like I having a major wake up call. Im thinking this is just a lesson I need to over come but Im not sure.
Any advice fellow coders who have tamed the beast of CPC?
Any advice, tips or encouragement is greatly appreciated

I feel your pain, I took the test more than three times! I believe the thing that finally helped me pass was the Blitz Video's if you have the extra money it is something you might want to look into getting.

Don't give up there have been a lot of people that have failed the CPC test. You can go to u-tube to see small clips of the video's

Best of Luck

I did the blitz I think it helped a little, I think I overthink and second guess myself, plus this last time I spent way too much time in cardio and ran out of time so I had to guess in lab./path. I scored the lowest there, if i would have been able to actually work those I think I would have passed.

The best video in the blitz is the time management and skipping and pairing that with the breaking down multi question answers free one on youtube. It sounds to me based off the last statement that time management was the main issue and not knowledge, although those with experience have a harder time trying to forget the real world stuff and focusing purely on the guidelines in the book.

I took a lot of practice tests so I knew which types of questions to skip. I skipped most of cardio until the end (3 of them I gave up after spending an hour). Things like Interventional radiology, selective vs non selective and muscular skeletal always screwed me up so I came back to a lot of those as well. One question on lab, I skipped after 5 minutes and came back, glad I did as the answer was right in the parenthetical note that I wasn't seeing. The time management one was so helpful to me I emailed them and suggested they sell it as a standalone for those that don't want to buy the whole thing (thinking of those last minute people)

Last edited: