Wiki First OB visit and problem visit on the same day

ksaum

New
Best answers
How would you code an initial OB visit that also addressed 2 chronic conditions and has medication management. Typically we bill global for OB so I would bundle the OB portion with the rest of her visits, but the provider spent time addressing chronic conditions. Would you bill an E/M for the problem visit portion? The patient has Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. Thanks!

It sounds like you provided global maternity care AND services excluded from global maternity on the same day. I suggest billing an E&M to the carrier leveled only by the non-maternity services with the problem diagnoses addressed. For example, don't count prescribing prenatal vitamins. The E&M should get a -24 modifier to show the carrier it is outside the global package.

It sounds like you provided global maternity care AND services excluded from global maternity on the same day. I suggest billing an E&M to the carrier leveled only by the non-maternity services with the problem diagnoses addressed. For example, don't count prescribing prenatal vitamins. The E&M should get a -24 modifier to show the carrier it is outside the global package.
Sorry but the modifier -24 can only be billed after delivery (the modifier applies to unrelated services in the postop period). In this case she should bill just an E/M (no modifier), and I would strongly suggest/hope that the provider documented that these conditions were not complicating the pregnancy so the Z code could be reported instead of a code from Chapter 15 which would probably result in a denial. Good documentation will support these services at this first ob visit and any denial should be appealed.

Sorry but the modifier -24 can only be billed after delivery (the modifier applies to unrelated services in the postop period). In this case she should bill just an E/M (no modifier), and I would strongly suggest/hope that the provider documented that these conditions were not complicating the pregnancy so the Z code could be reported instead of a code from Chapter 15 which would probably result in a denial. Good documentation will support these services at this first ob visit and any denial should be appealed.
Very interesting. I am getting deeper into some of the nuances of global maternity and attended a webinar just yesterday. Part of the presentation included the advice about using -24 for antepartum visits that are not part of global maternity which is why I even thought to add that in my original reply. I certainly trust your knowledge over the knowledge of last night's presenter! Thank you for the correction.

Very interesting. I am getting deeper into some of the nuances of global maternity and attended a webinar just yesterday. Part of the presentation included the advice about using -24 for antepartum visits that are not part of global maternity which is why I even thought to add that in my original reply. I certainly trust your knowledge over the knowledge of last night's presenter! Thank you for the correction.
Can you share which webinar you attended? I would love more knowledge on this specialty. I'm questioning if I can bill symptoms not related to pregnancy along with the initial OB visit.

Can you share which webinar you attended? I would love more knowledge on this specialty. I'm questioning if I can bill symptoms not related to pregnancy along with the initial OB visit.
It was a local chapter meeting. I don't even recall 2 1/2 months later which chapter it was. I often will spend some time going through all the chapters looking for virtual meetings that relate to what I would like additional experience in.