Wiki Foreign body in wrist

aprillerowland

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone know what direction I need to go in as far as coding an exploratory wrist procedure? The hub of the IV had fallen out and the angoicatheter was not attached. The concern was it had broken off in the wrist, after procedure, it was not found in the wrist. Would I use cpt 10121, complicated I&D?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
It does not sound like there was actual drainage done. Possibly the use of 20103 for exploration of penetrating wound might work. Usually this is a component of a more extensive service, but it can be reported when it is performed independently.

20103 relates to wounds resulting from penetrating trauma. These codes describe surgical exploration and enlargement of the wound, extension of dissection to determine penetration, debridement, removal of foreign bodies, ligation or coagulation of minor subcutaneous and/or muscular blood vessels, of the subcutaneous tissue, muscle fascia, and/or muscle.

It does not sound like there was actual drainage done. Possibly the use of 20103 for exploration of penetrating wound might work. Usually this is a component of a more extensive service, but it can be reported when it is performed independently.

20103 relates to wounds resulting from penetrating trauma. These codes describe surgical exploration and enlargement of the wound, extension of dissection to determine penetration, debridement, removal of foreign bodies, ligation or coagulation of minor subcutaneous and/or muscular blood vessels, of the subcutaneous tissue, muscle fascia, and/or muscle.

thank you!