• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Heparin in bladder instillations - HELP!

hkthomsen@yahoo.com

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Our urogynecology office does bladder instillations frequently, & always bills Heparin. I just want to make sure we are billing them correctly. I discovered recently that we are incorrectly billing the units of HEPARIN. Chart states 40,000 units, we've been billing 1. Yikes!

Here is how we code the instillations -

81003-59
J1644 1 unit (Heparin)
J2001-59 1 unit (lidocaine)
A4550 (sterile tray)

With this newly found error in units for Heparin - we are trying to figure out the new "cost" for J1644. Right now 1 unit is $14. Where can I find this info? Because if I code Heparin properly, that would be 40 units (40 X 1,000 = 40,000 units)....which will DOUBLE the cost of the instillation - that doesn't seem right? The office is not being very helpful in finding this info. out - they claim it is included in the cost of the tray? But Mediare denies the tray's so then they get $0.00 ?

Any help anyone can offer would be GREAT! Thanks.

Machelle Freeman

Networker
Best answers
I am not sure where to find the price. But, I can tell you how we bill Heparin.

J1644 X40

The HCPCS book reads that J1644 is per 1000 units. So, ours comes to about $200 for the medication.

hkthomsen@yahoo.com

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Thank you so much for your response! So 1 unit then of Heparin is $5? That helps me tremendously. THANK YOU!!!