Wiki I need help writing recommendation letters...

nbernal

Best answers
I'm trying to write recommendation letters for my former supervisor and co-worker to get my apprentice designation removed from my certification. I just don't know how to even start! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nuvia
Newly Certified

Keep it short and sweet! How about.....

Please let this letter serve as a formal recommendation for my colleague, <insert name>. She has been a trusted and respected adviser for XXX years. She is truly an asset to <your company>. Her primarily responsibilities include < insert responsibilities> (Then list how many years experience)

With her professionalism coupled with her dedication and work ethic, I believe she will truly be a wonderful addition to the medical coding community as a Certified Professional Coder.

Just something I wrote off the fly.. feel free to use it if you'd like:)

Need Additional Help with reference letter

am also trying to write a recommendation letter for my former supervisor to get my apprentice designation removed from my certification. I am having trouble getting started! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Virginia Carver
CPC-A

This might be a dumb question, but why you are writing your own recommendation letters? Shouldn't your supervisor/coworker write it?

Kim, CPC

This may help.

I have been in the industry for 20+ yrs & hold 8 various coding certifications across the AAPC and other organizations. I have also served as a local chapter president and managed coders within many large payer organizations.

Within those organizations, generally the company's HR advice has been to have the individual requesting the recommendation letter provide a draft of the recommendation and that we as the employer, simply review for accuracy and confirmation. This removes any corporate liability from the company and hopefully ensures that the criteria needed to meet the nature of the recommendation be identified by the requestor.

As you know, employers are not allowed to make any statements (written or verbal) about job performance/employment verification without the appropriate release forms, so they are viewing the recommendation letters for the AAPC as the same....in short, HR departments are communicating that managers do NOT write recommendation letters due to the liability and security issues.

I would tend to agree to keep them short.