Wiki ICD code for Antibody Identification study

skumar

Contributor
Best answers
Hi
The antibody screen is part of the ABO Blood Type and Antibody Screen that is performed as a part of the patient coming in and possibly requiring blood transfusion. If the antibody screen is positive, then an antibody identification is performed. I do an antibody panel review and interpretation.
In some circumstances the antibody is due to patient forming antibody after red cell transfusion and/or pregnancy.
In some cases Rh negative patients have received antibody (anti-D) during pregnancy as part of pre-natal care.

What is the most appropriate ICD-10 code (for antibody review and interpretation) to use in these situations?

Thanks.
Suresh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
If I understand, you are looking for an ICD-10 code for when a patient's antibody screen is positive and a subsequent identification panel is done, correct?
Usually, the presence of an alloantibody is not a "diagnosis", so trying to pin an ICD-10 code to, say, an anti-K may prove futile. I looked in various places - findings, abnormal; complications; and didn't see anything pertinent. If the alloantibody has caused a Transfusion Reaction, there are codes for that (under Complications, transfusion).

In a pregnant woman, an alloantibody (NOT anti-D due to RhIgG administration) could cause a complication and in those cases you may find what you need in the O36 series.

I'm a Blood Bank technologist turned Coder by the way. Hope this is helpful.

Megan

p.s. if on the other hand you need a code for a pathologist's interp/consultation, there are CPT codes for that, i.e. 80500

Hi,

I really appreciate your effort to reply me back. For transfusion reaction I have a code.

This is something I am looking for Antibody findings or abnormal antibody findings. In ICD 9 I used to code with 796.4 other abnormal clinical findings. For ICD 10 it is a million dollar question to use the right ICD code.

Let me know if you find any appropriate code in near future.

Once again I appreciate and thanks for your reply.

Sincerely
Suresh