Wiki Independent Contract Remote Coder

clesko78

New
Best answers
Hello…was wondering if anyone has done work as an Independent Contract Remote coder who is paid per chart and on a 1099 basis??? I work FT but was looking into this for PT work…I know i wold have to pay my own taxes but would I need any type of license to practice as an independent??? Business tax id #??? Any information would be appreciated!!!

Hello…was wondering if anyone has done work as an Independent Contract Remote coder who is paid per chart and on a 1099 basis??? I work FT but was looking into this for PT work…I know i wold have to pay my own taxes but would I need any type of license to practice as an independent??? Business tax id #??? Any information would be appreciated!!!

I think you would need to set up and register as a business within your state (and pay money for the privilege obviously...here in FL you register with Sunbiz and it costs about $150.00 per year)) and then open up a bank account dedicated to your business.

I did a little bit of contract work and that's what I did. Others with more experience may have other ideas.

It may depend on the state. I work as a 1099 contractor but I need no business license and my SSN works in place of a business tax ID. In my state only if you charge sales tax do you need to have a business license and a tax ID. Also if you live in a complex such as a gated community or apartment/townhouse/condo complex there may be specific rules for working out of the residence. Also for home based business there are certain tax requirements for home based deductions. And then if you are performing coding in your home don't forget the HIPAA regarding the privacy of medical information.

Software

Thanks for the information. Could you guys tell me what type of coding programs/software you use? Working as a contractor I can only assume you need to provide this
at your own expense.

Software etc. for doing contract coding at home

I use AAPC Coder to assist my coding, and I am very happy with it. It costs $40 per month, and you can add on additional resources. It isn't as good as Encoder, but is a lot better than some other coding software I've used. MSOffice is nice to have, but if you don't want to buy it, Open Office is free and works fine.

If you are accessing your clients' servers remotely, a second monitor is a really good idea to manage all the windows you'll have open at once.

To send and receive clients' files, I use Dropbox with Sookasa. Sookasa is $10/month, and it encrypts and decrypts the files and is HIPAA compliant. Your clients do not need to have Sookasa.

If you are working from scans, have your clients scan the files as PDFs. Then you can use the free Adobe Reader program to annotate the charts with your codes. If your are logging into your client's system, you'll most likely be entering the codes directly into their billing system.

For keeping track of my time working each client, I use an app called HoursTracker on my phone. I track charts coded, time taken, etc. in an Excel spreadsheet. To keep track of business expenses and income, I use the Xero TaxTouch app on my phone. If you're going to be driving to clients' sites, etc., there's a very nice app called MileIQ to automatically track your business miles.

To keep the PHI secure at home, my PC is secured with BitLocker encryption, and I do not print or write down any PHI whatsoever.(If you do, it has to be locked in a filing cabinet or some such when you're away from work, and it has to be shredded when you no longer need it.) My iPhone is also encrypted. I use two-step verification on my accounts whenever possible. When I step away from the computer, I lock it. I don't allow anyone else to use the PC I work on.

I hope this information is helpful to you. To me, the hardest part is getting clients (which pay well once found) and/or contract work for major coding/billing companies that pays fairly. Right now I'm making around $40/hr. working for my own ortho client (I charge $7 per chart), versus about $10 per hour for Aviacode at a rate of $1.00 per CPT code.:cool:

Best,
Kimberly A. Sherman, MA, CPC
Multi-specialty physician coder/entrepreneur
kimberlyshermansd@yahoo.com
http://physicianscodingservices.com

Repying to your question

I have been an independent contractor since 1994. I had been trained for two years, almost three, by an RN/coder. Actually, by the first year, I was in charge of of the coding for the faculty docs for the Cardiothoracic service of a major teaching hospital, and General Surgery. I did also Vascular surgery, Plastics, and the Renal and Liver Transplant service. The volume became quite large when I did my coding, and took over for my fellow coder. She decided to leave the billing service, and go independent. I did so also. Luckily I had someone to teach me about negotiation and contracts. I was able to live remotely, and have work Fed-Exed back and forth. Then, I lost the contract, bought a home in town, and got a job paying medical claims (this was what I did for a living before becoming a coder) for an IPO, which was interesting. Then I worked for about five years for a hospital, coding for the docs affiliated with it. I expanded my knowledge to more and more specialties, then the Orthopedic Surgeon trained me in that specialty, and I moved on after a few years back to being independent, which I have been since 1999, and my client treats me extremely well. The only reason I had to go an be an employee was to get medical benefits, which were not available due to pre-existing conditions. When I went out on my own I had to apply for an EIN from the IRS. I never did get any local business license. You should get an app for invoicing, and a way to keep track of what you do, and the time you were working. Even if not paid by the hour for consulting, if you track your working time, you can figure out how efficient you are with your time. Have your own letterhead, and business cards. Most contractors have their own website, but since I had basically one long term client, I did not need one. The lady who taught me got me my client, by recommending me to audit the terrible coding for the Orthopedic faculty for a major teaching hospital. I did, and they were so impressed, they wanted to immediately contract with me. I get paid by the op report, plus get paid by the hour, if I do consulting. The job is remote, with a monthly deadline, and a high enough volume to keep me busy, but not stressed. Truthfully, it is extremely hard to get remote coding clients, because if HIPPA issues. My client has set me up at home with a VPN that is amazingly safe. If you have been employed a long time, the risks are there, and the overhead can be steep, although you can write off everything. I had to provide insurance for my husband, so we set up a small group for my business, and employed my husband. Then, he became eligible for Obamacare. For me, the benefits outweighed the downside, I learned to manage my time, and be disciplined, and enjoyed the independence of my position, not having any boss. Clients are not your bosses, and don't let them tell you what to do. Do what is within your contract, and demand always to be treated with respect.