IUI using donor sperm d/t transgender spouse

HCundiff

Networker
Best answers
I am at a complete loss. My OB/GYNs do some fertility work such as follicle checks for planned intercourse and inseminations. A few patients in the past were in lesbian relationships and used donor semen to concieve. In these situations, there has benn an exacerbating condition in the partner being inseminated. Therefore, I used that as the diagnosis.

Currently, we are seeing a patient that has no female genitourinary conditions that would cause an issue with fertility. Her partner is a Transgender male. Therefore, they will be using donor sperm for the IUI. I don't know what diagnosis code I should use. The patient believes she does have insurance coverage for this service. I gave her the CPT codes to call insurance to verify coverage but don't know what ICD-10 to pass along. I fear that may play a factor in if the service is covered or not.

Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any assistance. Even if it's just an idea of where to go to reasearch the matter more.

Thank you!

I use DX code Procreative Management Z31.9 and IUI Z31.89 not sure is this is accurate the coding is very very slim to pick from but it works for me. ASRM is a reproductive org that has coding guidelines.

Are you referring to the dx on the IUI encounter? I would just use Z31.83. For an office visit, Z31.89