Wiki Lactation Consultation

abartel

New
Best answers
Hello! I need help with coding an RN certified in Lactation Education. Lately I have been including her services in the E/M and accounting for time along with the physician's assessment. Is there a code I can use for consults for other than physicians and other qualified healthcare professionals? She is not contracted with any payers, so I would have to bill her services under one of our physicians. Another office said they use 99401 & 99402 for their Lactation Consults, but I don't feel comfortable billing that as it states the services were provided by the physician. The only other codes I've been considering are the prolonged service codes for clinical staff: 99415 & 99416 to add on to the E/M code by the provider, however, they would have to be seen by the provider too.

Thanks in advance!
Angela

I've been doing lactation billing for a couple of weeks and here is something I found by doing some investigating which I use often. My provider is an RN and an IBCLC which sounds like your RN is also. Hopefully the attachment works. If you google lactation coding and it's the first link that comes up (I just checked now to make sure)

Attachments

• Lactation Coding.pdf
    136.8 KB · Views: 32
The post you are replying to is going on 5 years old. The PDF you linked to looks like it's 7 years old. There is a lot of missing information, because it looks like they're saying an RN can bill consultation and E&M codes on their own.