Modifier 51 vs 59 - multiple surgeries

dawn1170

Networker
Best answers
Can someone explain to me when I would use a -59 mod and a -51 mod if there are multiple surgeries for example:

L/S cystectomy and H/S D&C (51 or 59)
or
58558 and 57065 (51or 59)

or please give me other examples!!

Any assistance is appreciated,

Dawn

If I coded two 36556 I would code it like this:
or
36556.59 (depending on what carrier, because some do NOT like the .51)
But, why are you coding two insertions of Non-Tunneled Centrally Inserted Central Venous Catheters anyway? Just curious...

I see.... well, again - in my opinion it would be either:
or
I've never used a .59.51 together - I'm going to look into that usage a bit more tomorrow...

Hi,

I see the (-51) modifier as an idicator to payors that multiple procedures were done during one operative session. By indicating which of the multiple procedures is "primary", I facilitate issuance of reimbursement. As you know, many payors allow for 100% of allowable for only the primary procedure & drop payment for subsequent procedures to 75%, 50% or 25%.

Modifier (-59) is more of a "bundling/unbundling" modifier. It is typically used to indicate that procedures normally considered "components" of one another and therefore not separately reimbursable, are in certain cases to be looked at "individually". The CCI Edits is utilized to determine which cpt codes are considered "bundled". I don't know of any other application in which this modifier should be utilized with the exception of "duplicate" procedures, as mentioned in a prior post.

I hope this info helps & Good Luck!

Also remember that according to the CPT book, 59 modifier is an ASC approved modifier and not the 51 so if you are coding for an ASC which it sounds like you are not then take the 59 into consideration, but there are a few carriers such as Nevada Medicaid that like us to use the 51 modifier for multiple procedures. Just some more info for your thoughts!

Also remember that according to the CPT book, 59 modifier is an ASC approved modifier and not the 51 so if you are coding for an ASC which it sounds like you are not then take the 59 into consideration, but there are a few carriers such as Nevada Medicaid that like us to use the 51 modifier for multiple procedures. Just some more info for your thoughts!
If you're doing multiple procedures, do you necessarily have to use modifier 51 since it's used as an "information only" modifier.

What about Mod 76

Don't know the specifics of the scenario involved ... but what about mod -76 - repeat procedure.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

need 59?

Hi Mary,

I have a question do we need to append 59 mod for 28285 -TA and 28285 -59-T1. or any other same service u say.

TA and T1 or LT and RT not sufficient?

Prem.

Today during a reimbursement meeting at our wound care clinic, we were told both by the reimbursement director and an office mgr that it didnt seem to matter if you used the -51 or the -59 that they both had reduction in reimbursement. I def dont agree that it doesnt matter which one you use, I understand the reasons why you would choose one over the other. But has anyone noticed the multiple surgery cut down being applied to codes billed with the -59??

Do you have two pre- and post-op periods?

Remember that your reimbursement for any procedure includes the pre- and post-op care associated with that procedure. So ... Yes, you will get a multiple surgery adjustment even if you use a -59 modifier. Because the pre- and post-op care is rolled into one.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Don't know the specifics of the scenario involved ... but what about mod -76 - repeat procedure.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

=========
I would not agree with -76 because it is a different site - not repeating the same procedure at the same site.

If a doctor does an EGD and also does a Colonoscopy on the same day in his office would you use and 51 or 59 modifier on the EGD?:confused:

You would only need the 51 (keeping in mind some carriers do not want/need this modifer any longer), the 59 is not needed. You do not need to worry about bundleing of these two procedures. Definition of the procedures is enough to say distinct ans separate. For you cannot use the colonoscopic approach to inspect the esophagus!

Modifier 59 is used to indicate that two procedures are distinct procedures which are performed at different times and/or locations whereas modifier 51 is used when same physician performes more than two procedure at the same time