Wiki Optometrist Billing IOL for Cataract Surgery

KaseyMurphy

Best answers
I know generally cataract surgery and pre-ops are preformed by an Ophthalmologist, but our Optometrist will be co-managing a pt's case with another facility that will be preforming the cataract surgery. They want our OD to perform the IOL (92136) and necessary measurements for implanting the new lens. Is there any rules regarding whether this procedure has to be done by an MD or is it okay for our OD to preform and bill the code 92136.

It shouldn't be a problem. Will your OD be doing both the measurement and the IOL power calculations?

The code has a bilateral technical component and a unilateral professional component so, assuming the measurement is done on both eyes but only one eye is going to be operated on at a time, then code it as follows: 92136 - RT or LT depending on the eye to be operated on, assuming your OD also does the IOL calculation.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC, COPC

I know this is an old thread but I have the same question. Is it OK for the OD to perform the IOL calculations. If so is there any place I can find documentation that this would be OK to do for the OD?