Wiki Pet

Kimberley

Expert
Best answers
When coding a PET scan.....indication/signs & symptoms are HODGKINS.

IMPRESSION: No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy.

What dx code is appropriate to use? 202.80???

Kimberley Tober, CPC
Franklin, TN

hodgkins

When coding a PET scan.....indication/signs & symptoms are HODGKINS.

IMPRESSION: No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy.

What dx code is appropriate to use? 202.80???

Kimberley Tober, CPC
Franklin, TN

In 3M when I start with Hodgkins and go unspecified throughout I end up with 201.90 hodgkins, unspecified site. In ICD-9 if you look under Hodgkins disease it's listed as 201.90 Hodgkins disease, unspecified.
Unless you can find other documentation, this is what I would go with.

PET dx

I guess what I'm really questioning is, is it appropriate to use the dx of Hodgkins even though the impression states no malignancy.

Sorry. I would say code Hodgkins, as the report says "No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy", and that's the reason for the testing. It does not have a definitive answer for your result. But, you will probably get other coders who say do not code it. I might be more leery of coding Hodgkins if the result said no evidence of...

no evidence

I would take it back to the physician and ask for clarification and provide the result of the PET. He may or may not say use the Hodgkins, but that's where I would start.