Wiki Pilonidal sinus excision

tmgexp1@yahoo.com

Networker
Best answers
The physician excised a pilonidal sinus and also performed a fasciocutaneous flap on the right and left buttocks. Is it proper to code 11772 and 15734? I am not sure from the code description if the fasciocutaneous flap is included or can be coded separately. Thanks for any help

I always thought excision was bundled in the adjacent tissue transfer but I found the following in CPT Assistant September 2015 page 12

Question: The physician excised a complex pilonidal cyst and closed the wound with a rhomboid flap. Is the flap closure included in the procedure described by code 11772, Excision of pilonidal cyst or sinus; complicated, or should code 14000, Adjacent tissue transfer or rearrangement, trunk; defect 10 sq cm or less, be reported in addition to code 11772?

Answer: The flap closure is not included in the procedure described by code 11772. For the procedure described, adjacent tissue transfer code 14000 would be separately reported, in addition to code 11772.

Pilonidal repair

My doc calls the repair his 'cleft lift procedure' and we use codes 11772 and 15570 and we have been using this for a few years now. He's very successful with this approach and has only a few re-dos.