Wiki Practicode - newer coder

krystle8402

Networker
Best answers
Did you find it helpful? I'm a newer coder and needing some more training, and have heard that this may help. Just wanted some opinions of others.

Thank you!

RE: Practicode

Hi Krystle,

I finished the CPC Practicum and Professional Fee Module a few days ago. It took me about 4 months to complete and if you are looking at the CPC Practicum for coding practice only, my opinion is DO NOT BUY IT. I also read reviews from other people who bought the Practicum and the general consensus was that alot of the diagnoses used in the charts was incorrect, and I found this to be true for the majority of the charts. A lot of times I would be scratching my head as to how they used some codes above other codes which appear to be more correct in certain instances. I also had a problem with the E/M coding; in general the Office Visits and ER visits seemed to be over-coded in alot of instances--given the diagnoses and MDM in the chart--and because of this it would be hard to figure out the correct E/M level. Other problems I had were incorrect spelling and incomplete charts. It seems that AAPC didn't bother checking whether or not the codes were correct before including them in Practicode. In my opinion, you'd be better off buying a coding-exercise textbook (AHIMA's Coding Clinic is a good choice.).

George
CPC, COC, CPB

esgue006 RE: Practicode

Thank you so much esgue, I have so much mixed feelings about AAPC Practicode for the exact reasons you just said and I keep getting negative response from all people. Maybe thinking heading to the billing program or get ICD-10 myself and put on my resume as education.

Hi Krystle,

I finished the CPC Practicum and Professional Fee Module a few days ago. It took me about 4 months to complete and if you are looking at the CPC Practicum for coding practice only, my opinion is DO NOT BUY IT. I also read reviews from other people who bought the Practicum and the general consensus was that alot of the diagnoses used in the charts was incorrect, and I found this to be true for the majority of the charts. A lot of times I would be scratching my head as to how they used some codes above other codes which appear to be more correct in certain instances. I also had a problem with the E/M coding; in general the Office Visits and ER visits seemed to be over-coded in alot of instances--given the diagnoses and MDM in the chart--and because of this it would be hard to figure out the correct E/M level. Other problems I had were incorrect spelling and incomplete charts. It seems that AAPC didn't bother checking whether or not the codes were correct before including them in Practicode. In my opinion, you'd be better off buying a coding-exercise textbook (AHIMA's Coding Clinic is a good choice.).

George
CPC, COC, CPB

I really appreciate the feedback! I did some more researching after I posted this, and it seems like there are quite a few others who feel the same as you. I was trying to find something to help better my skills, but it doesn't sound like this would be it. Thank you!!

Practicode

I have heard so many bad reviews on the Practicode that I have decided to try the CPB program through APPC and so far have had pretty good reviews on it.

PractiCode

I, too, have been experiencing problems with some of the answers... Yes, I agree that some of the E &M codes that I assign may be, in fact, correct.