Wiki Problems with Category K ICD-10 codes

MarylouT

Networker
Best answers
Anyone else aware of problems with CPT codes matching up with Category K ICD-10 diagnosis codes? We are in receipt of an IBC EOB denying rectal bleeding (K62.5) for an office visit, and the IBC rep stating she could not link up a K code to office visits/consults. This is a Colon & Rectal practice and the K codes are necessary and have been used extensively in the past (i.e. hemorrhoids, diverticulosis/diverticulitis, rectal/intestinal bleeding, bowel obstructions, etc.). I checked into our search engine - Super Coder - and NO K codes are being recognized for office visits and consults. They are looking into this. How can an entire category be missing? This has to be an error. We are in the process of contacting the AMA about this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else aware of problems with CPT codes matching up with Category K ICD-10 diagnosis codes? We are in receipt of an IBC EOB denying rectal bleeding (K62.5) for an office visit, and the IBC rep stating she could not link up a K code to office visits/consults. This is a Colon & Rectal practice and the K codes are necessary and have been used extensively in the past (i.e. hemorrhoids, diverticulosis/diverticulitis, rectal/intestinal bleeding, bowel obstructions, etc.). I checked into our search engine - Super Coder - and NO K codes are being recognized for office visits and consults. They are looking into this. How can an entire category be missing? This has to be an error. We are in the process of contacting the AMA about this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

No, I have not seen that. I would send the payer a photo copy of the K section of the ICD-10 book showing these are valid codes. If your book is marked up like mine, you can print from the cdc's website. They have an electronic copy of the book. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm#FY 2019 release of ICD-10-CM

Keep us posted on any updates.

Thanks so much for responding to my question. I heard back from SuperCoder and they have re-established the ICD-10 Chapter 11 K codes in the E&M CPT crosswalk section. We are also working with IBC (Independence Blue Cross) to check if there is a glitch in their system. Shortly after we were informed by an IBC rep that they did not recognize any K codes, we were reimbursed for claims that we had used K codes on. If anything else arises, I will post on the forum. Thanks again!