Wiki Quadriceps tendon rupture

Best answers
Does anyone have documentation that states 27385 should be coded when there is a quadriceps 'tendon' rupture - even though the muscle isn't really ruptured? The CPT code and the Encoder Pro description are very literal to muscle repair and not tendon repair but I thought I had seen something about using this CPT code for the tendon repair too.

I think the 27385 is the most appropriate for repair of the quadriceps. The crosscoder has more diagnosis codes than just a "rupture". I would read the lay description in the coders desk reference and compare with your op note to see if it fits. If it does, use it.

There is no code for the repair of the quadriceps TENDON, it must be reported with the unlisted code. Per CPT "do not select a CPT code that merely approximates teh service provided".

There is no code for the repair of the quadriceps TENDON, it must be reported with the unlisted code. Per CPT "do not select a CPT code that merely approximates teh service provided".

I disagree.

27385 Suture of quadriceps or hamstring muscle rupture; primary

quadriceps (kwŏd'rĭ-sěps') Pronunciation Key

The large, four-part muscle at the front of the thigh that arises in the hip and pelvis and inserts as a strong tendon below the kneecap (patella). The quadriceps straightens and helps stabilize the knee.

Arthrotomy/ quadriceps repair?

Saw this thread, and although it is old, was wondering if appropriate to also code the Arthrotomy, drainage of hematoma with the quadriceps tendon repair?

thanks
PB

I too thought it was 27385, then I saw in the AHIMA CCS_P Exam Prep book they give 27664 as the answer for the repair of a quadriceps tendon rupture... Exam 1, case #8... that was a bit of a surprise to me.

repair quadriceps rupture

27664 is for repair of a extensor tendon in the lower leg (tibia or fibula) or ankle joint. AHIMA's prep books have been fraught with error.
Mary's answer is the correct one