Wiki Question for coder

RyanW

Best answers
I am currently a CPC, but yet to find a job. I still feel like my options are open to a few other things in the medical field, as I'm working as an anesthesia tech right now.

My question is, how fast does time go by when working as a coder? I suspect with all the investigation and such it would fly by, but when I think back to when I would study for the exam, 8 hours in a day, time would draw out like crazy. I'm just curious, since I'd still going to have to commit all my resources to getting a coding job w/o experience, should I decide to do so.

Many people say they couldn't sit and code all day. To tell you the truth I see no difference in doing coding all day as opposed to when I was a hair dresser or when I was an account rep or even just cleaning my house. You never have enough time when you need it no matter what you do, and when you have more time than work the day drags regardless of what the work is.

Sometimes my day is gone before I know it and sometimes it seems to take forever. It just depends on what needs to be done.

I currently have more work than time, between researching, auditing, teaching, and all those "other duties as assigned" I feel like I'm drowning. Time is flying by at an astounding rate. I come on this site to help refocus myself, if I look at something for too long without a break in thought I tend to become very unproductive. So it is nice to think about other issues and of course I research a lot on here as well.

This is just my personal opinion for what its worth.

Good luck,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Personally, I don't think I could "heads down code" all day long. In my position I help with billing follow-up (ie: appeals) and run financial reports for my surgeons and managers. In addition, I help educate my physicians and other coders. With all of that, I enjoy my job.

Its like anything else though, you have your good days and then those days when you just want to go home and pull the covers over your head! :)

Lisi, CPC

(a big plus to this job - I've never had a problem finding a job!)

I am currently a CPC, but yet to find a job. I still feel like my options are open to a few other things in the medical field, as I'm working as an anesthesia tech right now.

My question is, how fast does time go by when working as a coder? I suspect with all the investigation and such it would fly by, but when I think back to when I would study for the exam, 8 hours in a day, time would draw out like crazy. I'm just curious, since I'd still going to have to commit all my resources to getting a coding job w/o experience, should I decide to do so.

Like the other posters said everyday can vary. In my case I work for 2 family practices, I am the billing supervisor so I don't necessarily "Code" all day. I have a variety of duties which makes the day go by faster ( in my opinion). I deal with the a/r, take patient phone calls, verify all charges that are being billed out of the offices, handle all in-house collections, post payment and audit.

I guess once you find your niche you will know. At one point in time I thought I wanted to strictly "code" but I am ok with what I am doing. I would like to move on to the compliance side of things at some point but at this point in time I am fine with my current position and my duties.

I wish you luck.

I have done it both ways. I have done both coding/billing in some jobs, while my position just prior to my current one, was at a MTF and I coded, and only coded, all day long. However, I was always learning something new, researching something I wanted to know more about, and very fortunately, I was able to visit clinical areas when I wanted to know more about something and talk with providers. Also, coding GWOT (global war on terrorism) trauma was really interesting in that these were often times not your typical trauma type cases. Now I do consulting, and I code mostly every day but in a different light. I am given an engagement for a client company and it varies as a client may have a new device that they want to know what reimbursement would be, is there a code already that fits their device, if not, what is needed to obtain one, and many other questions needing answers that involves a lot of research. Sometimes I review reimbursement websites and validate coding for their products/procedures, reviewing operative notes and other things to keep the reimbursement site up to date. My days right now especially seem to be like they were 5 minutes long. I leave work some days wondering what I did that day as it just flew by. Coding is an incredibly diverse job and can have many, many facets and choices. Good luck to you in finding your place.

Last edited: