Questions for a newbee! Location: Georiga

dharris88

Best answers
Hello Everyone!

I am switching careers from public safety to CRC. From what I am learning I am confident that my skills are very much transferable and will really help me in this new line of work it is just a matter of getting the experience. I am beginning a online course shortly and am planning on doing the Exam in the next couple of months. I reside in Georgia and constantly see postings for jobs. I hold a Bachelors in Business as well as a Masters (not sure if this will really help with no experience once I'm certified). In the long term I would like to work remotely, but I know getting from here to there may take some time.

The reason I am posting this thread is to see if I can get some advice on transitioning from a different career path and of course what to expect in terms of pay as entry level with no experience (I've done research but there's nothing like actually hearing from someone real, if you don't mind sharing). I don't want to assume anything and would like to plan ahead. Ideally I would like to get into part time or internship while I am still in my current profession. Is this possible to do in Georgia or remotely? If I can get experience while still working in my current job that would be great of course or to get a non-paid or paid internship while I'm working in my current field.

The benefit for me is that since I work in public safety I have time and access to my computer (multiple monitors) all day as well as a secure vpn. As much as I would like to just work onsite immediately whether it is just getting my foot in the door, I know I may be taking a huge pay cut (not to mention insurance), so I would like to do both until I can smoothly transition. Again is this possible? Anyone with this experience or a local Georgian?

Thanks in advance!

Hard Job Field To Enter

Anything is possible! You are going to need a positive attitude to undergo this job change. Biggest piece of advice, make sure you will be in a position to be out of work or be willing to go back to your old job/career to pay for your certification, membership dues and the CEUs you’re going to have to get. I have been a nurse for 26 years and I have not gotten past the resume yet. I have tried to start at entry level positions but I am overqualified for those and too inexperienced for a coding position. I have used ICD 9 and 10 for lab orders and medication justification, medical terminology, anatomy/physiology, reading charts, EHR....
I am back at nursing because it’s paying the bills. Still hopeful that there’s a coding position out there for me but life doesn’t stop and neither does the bills.
Good Luck ??

Thank you!

Anything is possible! You are going to need a positive attitude to undergo this job change. Biggest piece of advice, make sure you will be in a position to be out of work or be willing to go back to your old job/career to pay for your certification, membership dues and the CEUs you’re going to have to get. I have been a nurse for 26 years and I have not gotten past the resume yet. I have tried to start at entry level positions but I am overqualified for those and too inexperienced for a coding position. I have used ICD 9 and 10 for lab orders and medication justification, medical terminology, anatomy/physiology, reading charts, EHR....
I am back at nursing because it’s paying the bills. Still hopeful that there’s a coding position out there for me but life doesn’t stop and neither does the bills.
Good Luck ??

Wow! Thanks for the response! I guess it's just like anything else. After getting my degrees it's been hard to find jobs as well. Very frustrating when your ready to leave the current field you are in when no one will give you a chance.