Wiki Reopening Craniotomy

Best answers
I have a note for a pt. who had reopening of right frontotemporal parietal craniotomy with wound debridement & removal of mesh, cranioplasty & complex wound closure. I believe I can do 61320-supratentorial drainage of abscess, and code the complex wound closure, but I am not sure if I also need a code for the debridement, removal of mesh, & cranioplasty or if that is included with the craniotomy.
Thanks!
Melanie Post, CPC-A

Last edited:
reopening craniotomy

I just hit this question in the Practicode. If not for these forums I would have been stumped for a bit. Another coder I forget who recommended 62142 which is for removal of bone flap under Craniotomy however you need to add modifier 78 for the unplanned return to the operating/procedure room. I added the code for complex wound closure and the answer DID NOT INCLUDE THIS

I have a note for a pt. who had reopening of right frontotemporal parietal craniotomy with wound debridement & removal of mesh, cranioplasty & complex wound closure. I believe I can do 61320-supratentorial drainage of abscess, and code the complex wound closure, but I am not sure if I also need a code for the debridement, removal of mesh, & cranioplasty or if that is included with the craniotomy.
Thanks!
Melanie Post, CPC-A
code 62142 with modifier 78 for unplanned return.
T81.42XA WITH B95.8