right atrial mass dx code

stpat

Networker
Best answers
Our docs quite often use "right atrial mass" as their diagnosis when doing a TEE. Is there a better diagnosis code to use than 786.6?

ICD-9 code for atrial mass for TEE testing

I would not use 212.7 (benign neoplasm of respiratory and intrathoracic organs; heart) for an atrial mass, especially since ICD-9 guidelines state that use of a neoplasm dx code should be confirmed by a pathology report. ICD-9 guidelines specifically state, "The term 'mass,' unless otherwise stated, is not to be regarded as a neoplastic growth." So, I agree that your best option is to use 429.89.

Last edited:
Check Pathology Report First

I would check the pathology report before I coded anything. If the report comes back stating there is evidence for neoplasm, but that the neoplasm is benign, then 212.7 would be correct. If pathology comes back stating that there is no evidence for neoplasm (perhaps the mass is just extra endomyocardial tissue, but the word "fibrosis" isn't used) then 212.7 (benign neoplasm; heart) would be incorrect and I would use 429.89 (other ill-defined heart disease) or 429.9 (heaert disease NOS) based on the information documented for the case.

Jennifer Haney CPC, CCC

Last edited: