Wiki Seborrhea capitis

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
One of my providers diagnosed a patient with seborrhea capitis and this was coded to the appropriate ICD-9 code of 690.11. The patient's insurance denied the claim because this code can only be used on a pediatric patient ages 0-17. This patient is well over age 17. Now we need to come up with another code. Can we possibly go with 690.18 (other seborrheic dermatitis) even though the documentation states seborrhea capitis? My coders think that 690.10 (unspecified seborrheic dermatitis) will work, but I don't think we can use this since it is not unspecified.

Any thoughts on what will work here? Thanks. :confused:

We also facing denials regarding age like 'Dx code L21.0 is not typical for a patient whose age is 55 yrs. The typical range for this dx is 0-10 months'. does anyone has answer.:confused:

L21.0 Seborrhea Capitis in adult - denial

Yes, denial from Med Adv. plan for 66 year old. States the diagnosis code L21.0 is not typical for a patient whose age is 66 years, the typical age range for this diagnosis is for 0-17 years.:(
Per provider, entering L21.8 Seborrheic Dermatitis of the scalp.

Last edited:
2019 Change to L21.0

I noticed in the 2019 ICD-10-CM Expert code book that L21.0 no longer has the "Pediatric" designation, suggesting that maybe this code is not restricted to ages 0-17. Was this change intentional?