Wiki Sequencing

shawnab27

New
Best answers
I just want to clarify something because I'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do.
I work for a specialty (cardiology) and I was told by someone higher up to only code that specialty dx's. However, sometimes a pt has renal failure or resp failure which does attribute to why the pt is being seen in the hospital. I was also told that only cardiology should be listed first but sometimes we see them only because of elevated trop.. which is an unspecified abnormal serum testing code...so not really cardiology (which I was also told not to use)
I just wanted some opinions on this.

you have to follow the ICD10 guidelines. you always code first the reason for the encounter. Remember the diagnosis code is the reason (the medical necessity) to justify the charge. If they are there for labs then you code why they are getting the lab.

per the guidelines you code all conditions that co-exist at the time of the encounter that are relevant to the medical decision making. A person may have diabetes that is influencing the cardiologist which he would document that and you should code it.