Wiki Sub visits for pts in HOP

heatheralayna

Networker
Best answers
My Drs see patients on a daily basis when they are in the hospital. The hospital is keeping patients in an observation status for up to 3 days I'm noticing. Of course my Drs are seeing them and indicating subsequent hospital visits, I realize I can't bill 9923_ due to the fact they are not inpatient. Can I bill 9921_? Or do we really have to eat these and chalk it up to good patient care and the hospital not discharging them.

Anyone with this situation going on?

Thanks!

I would think you would use the 99212-99215 codes. They state "Office or other outpatient visit". This would be other.

I do see this situation but not because the hospital did it, because the managed care made us keep them in obs instead of inpatient.

Laura, CPC

I do this type of billing on a regular basis for our "Hospitalist" program and use an observation code the first day and 99212-99215 for the in between days and then a 99217 for the observation d/c day and have had no problems with Medicare as long as my status matches what the facility has the patient listed. Also, I have read this recommendation many times in other coding sources.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions any time.

I do this type of billing on a regular basis for our "Hospitalist" program and use an observation code the first day and 99212-99215 for the in between days and then a 99217 for the observation d/c day and have had no problems with Medicare as long as my status matches what the facility has the patient listed. Also, I have read this recommendation many times in other coding sources.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions any time.

Curious????
What would your place of service be?