Wiki Thoracic Spine Trauma ICD-10 code??

~*Audra*~

Networker
Best answers
I am a radiology coder so I deal with a lot of trauma and fracture codes. So far I have found everything in ICD-10 except a code for thoracic spine trauma/injury. Not the cord, the bones. In ICD-9 we used 959.19, but they did not make one that was specific for the thoracic spinal bone area. They seem to have made an injury code for every other body area except this one. It's almost like they forgot it. We do however have

Lumbar spine S39.92-
Cervical Spine/neck S19.9-

I have tried looking for just a generic back injury or upper back, middle back, but I just can not seem to find anything to fit the thoracic spine area. Any one else out there having this same problem? They have T14.8, but that is unspecified and I know my location, so I hate to use that one.

And ideas are greatly appreciated!!

thoracic injury

hi

I have been using the code for thoracic injury as S29.9XXA.we can use either S29.9XXA or S29.8XXA.

if any one has got rather than this code let me know

T-spine injury

Fracture of the thoracic vertebra is in category S22.

Debra - I don't believe she is talking about a thoracic spine fracture - which would be your S22 suggestion. She is looking for a code for when it states 'thoracic spine injury.' All I have found is injury of the thorax - which can be anywhere from the collarbone to the diaphragm and from anterior chest wall to posterior chest/thoracic wall. It is just a very gray area and it goes back to teaching the radiologists that they need to be more specific - such as strain, sprain, etc.

Thanks,
Amy