Wiki Topaz Procedure

Best answers
Our Physician Has Done A Topaz Procedure For Lateral Epicondylitis. He Says To Bill 24310 Because That Is What The Rep Told Him To Use. As I Read The Cpt Book Code 24357 Seems To Be The Correct Code. Can Anyone Help Me With This?

Our Physician Has Done A Topaz Procedure For Lateral Epicondylitis. He Says To Bill 24310 Because That Is What The Rep Told Him To Use. As I Read The Cpt Book Code 24357 Seems To Be The Correct Code. Can Anyone Help Me With This?

typically from what I have seen in the past, with the Topaz, no incisions are made (however not unheard of). Usually for other body parts its an unlisted code so I would be curious to see an op note on this case.

Can you post the op note?

thanks
Mary, CPC, COSC

I Am Unable To Send The Op Note; But It Says "after Sterile Prepping And Draping Incision Was Made Over The Lateral Epicondyle.
Thanks, Kae

Lateral epicondylar release

Q. Some of us have started doing a modified lateral epicondylar release using a Topaz thermal cautery device. Would we be able to report 25290—Tenotomy, open, flexor or extensor tendon, forearm and/or wrist, single, each tendon; 24310—Tenotomy, open, elbow to shoulder, each tendon; and 24356—Fasciotomy, lateral or medial (e.g., tennis elbow or epicondylitis), with partial ostectomy?

A. This is an extensor origin detachment for lateral epicondylitis, 24351(now deleted). The method of tissue dissection or cutting is not relevant. It is the physician’s work—not the tool—that is being reimbursed.

http://www2.aaos.org/aaos/archives/bulletin/apr06/coding2.asp

CPT now directs us to use 24357-24359

Mary is definetly a guru is this area but I do recall this question being asked in one of Ortho seminars that I attended. Can you type the entire procedure or is it too lengthy?

Lateral epicondylar release

Q. Some of us have started doing a modified lateral epicondylar release using a Topaz thermal cautery device. Would we be able to report 25290—Tenotomy, open, flexor or extensor tendon, forearm and/or wrist, single, each tendon; 24310—Tenotomy, open, elbow to shoulder, each tendon; and 24356—Fasciotomy, lateral or medial (e.g., tennis elbow or epicondylitis), with partial ostectomy?

A. This is an extensor origin detachment for lateral epicondylitis, 24351(now deleted). The method of tissue dissection or cutting is not relevant. It is the physician's work—not the tool—that is being reimbursed.

http://www2.aaos.org/aaos/archives/bulletin/apr06/coding2.asp

CPT now directs us to use 24357-24359

Mary is definetly a guru is this area but I do recall this question being asked in one of Ortho seminars that I attended. Can you type the entire procedure or is it too lengthy?

I agree that its definitely a possiblity that its correct, but there just isn't enough posted to convince me to commit
thanks Rebecca :)

Thanks Much To All Who Offered Opinions. I Have Also Reviewed This With My Mananger And The Final Thought Is That Cpt Codes 24357 Thru 24359 Are The Correct Ones To Use.

Thanks Again,
Kae