Wiki Tube Removal without Anesthesia

SUEV

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
If tubes are removed without difficulty in the office using the operating microscope, what code does everyone recommend using? In another thread, 69210 was recommended but someone else said that the tubes are not considered "foreign bodies" so wouldn't be appropriate. Should I just code an E/M w/92504 or can someone recommend something better? Thanks:eek:

If tubes are removed without difficulty in the office using the operating microscope, what code does everyone recommend using? In another thread, 69210 was recommended but someone else said that the tubes are not considered "foreign bodies" so wouldn't be appropriate. Should I just code an E/M w/92504 or can someone recommend something better? Thanks:eek:

I will get back to you tommorow at the office, I know there is a code.

It is not considered a foreign body because it was placed for a reason. You are correct in billing an E/M and 92504 if it was used to remove the tube.

per the CPT crosscoder....for removal of tubes (69424), the diagnosis code 385.83 Retained foreign body middle ear is one of the recommended diagnoses, therefore I disagree with the statements that indicate that the tubes themselves are not foreign bodies.