UTI ; Threatened Abortion

tolkita

Best answers
The Dr. gave diagnosis of:
-UTI
-Threatened Abortion

Is it alright to code it 637.70 Abortion, unspecified as to completion or legality, with other specified complications ?

Because in the index i found
"infection -> urinary (tract) -> with -> abortion" and it says "see Abortion, by type, with urinary tract infection" so i looked at abortion with UTI and it lead me to 637.7x

Will 637.70 capture that it is threatened abortion?

or do I need to code it separately since Dr didnt said "uti WITH abortion"

Thank you! :confused::cool::rolleyes:

Hi,

Threatened abortion is not abortion by itself, it means that there is a chance for pregnancy getting aborted, if bleeding persists.

So in this case I would agree with Jane Elliott's comments to code with 640.0X for threatned abortion and

for UTI - it would be 646.63 and 599.0

Good Day,

Purnima S

The Dr. gave diagnosis of:
-UTI
-Threatened Abortion

Is it alright to code it 637.70 Abortion, unspecified as to completion or legality, with other specified complications ?

Because in the index i found
"infection -> urinary (tract) -> with -> abortion" and it says "see Abortion, by type, with urinary tract infection" so i looked at abortion with UTI and it lead me to 637.7x

Will 637.70 capture that it is threatened abortion?

or do I need to code it separately since Dr didnt said "uti WITH abortion"

Thank you! :confused::cool::rolleyes:

Thank you Jane and Purnima.

So if Dr just said UTI then pregnancy, do you assume its a complication and code it as 646.63 and 599.0?

So when will you know if a condition is to be coded as a pregnancy complication or not? Because most of the time, the Dr's just put the condition then Pregnancy.

Thank you Jane and Purnima.

So if Dr just said UTI then pregnancy, do you assume its a complication and code it as 646.63 and 599.0?

So when will you know if a condition is to be coded as a pregnancy complication or not? Because most of the time, the Dr's just put the condition then Pregnancy.

You always code to complication of pregnancy unless the doctor specifically states it is not.

So it means i dont have to query the physician every single time to put it if its a complication or not?

coz i read in the guidelines "it is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy"

so bottomline, unless they state that it is not a complication, everything is to be coded as a complication. right?

thank you so much!

Yes Tolkita,

You got it right! Unless teh MD says it is not the complication of pregnancy, we can code with pregnancy complication

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Purnima S

So it means i dont have to query the physician every single time to put it if its a complication or not?

coz i read in the guidelines "it is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy"

so bottomline, unless they state that it is not a complication, everything is to be coded as a complication. right?

thank you so much!