Wiki Wellness Exams

meganyoho

Contributor
Best answers
I have several providers in my office who use the diagnosis of Z00.00 (Encounter for general adult medical examination without abnormal findings), then they proceed to code additional diagnoses such as M27.2 (Inflammatory conditions of jaws) and/or E03.8 (Other specified hypothyroidism). I believe the correct primary diagnosis code should be listed as Z00.01 (Encounter for general adult medical examination WITH abnormal findings) due to the conditions mentioned/diagnosed. Am I overthinking this or should the providers be really using the Z00.01 ICD-10?

Thank you!

It will,depend on the documentation, if these were conditions complained about by the patient on presentation then you cannot bill it as a well visit due to the excludesm1 note, you will need to have the wellness cost rescheduled. If ey ardocumemted as an asymptomatic patient with no symptoms or concerns and these conditions are discovered by the provider during the exam then yes they arbilled as the Z00.01 with the abnormal findings as secondary codes.