Wiki Why no specialty?

Lang1725

Best answers
I have my exam on Saturday to become certified as a CPC coder. I think I will probably continue with my studies and become licensed as a COC and/or CIC coder so that I have options. I really like the idea of also becoming a specialty coder, but I didn't see "Behavioral Health" listed. I was a psychology major in school and it's an area I'm really interested in. Plus, I've found that with my knowledge of the subject, it seems to be the easiest thing for me to code. And the most interesting.

I don't understand why you can't specialize in this area. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

I have my exam on Saturday to become certified as a CPC coder. I think I will probably continue with my studies and become licensed as a COC and/or CIC coder so that I have options. I really like the idea of also becoming a specialty coder, but I didn't see "Behavioral Health" listed. I was a psychology major in school and it's an area I'm really interested in. Plus, I've found that with my knowledge of the subject, it seems to be the easiest thing for me to code. And the most interesting.

I don't understand why you can't specialize in this area. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

You can contact AAPC and make a suggestion that they create a specialty certification. Depending on how many make a particular request, they may or may not create a new certification. If only a handful make a suggestion, I guess it would not be worth the time and effort.

I recently suggested a radiology certification because I think many would want that, even though there is certification available through another body. The problem with a lot of these 'other bodies' is that they want you to have a certain exposure to the specialty before they will allow you to take their exam. How generous of them. Not with AAPC though (I passed the anesthesia certification having never coded the specialty which shows the worthless value of needing 'experience' in a particular discipline before taking a test). I was grateful for the opportunity to learn anesthesia before coding it rather than the other way round.

So, go ahead and make that request. They can only say no.

Behavioral health is pretty straight forward as its a small subset of codes, so I can see why they don't have a specialty for it.

PS once you pass your CPC id suggest COC before CIC. COC isn't too much different than CPC it just adds in the rules, regulations & payment methodologies. You still use the same code books. CIC adds in a whole new language (ICD-10-PCS) and is very deep in the reimbursement & legal aspects.

In the past few years the combined number of certifications between the AAPC and AHIMA seemed to have soared. Does anyone think there are too many certifications? Or do you all think the certifications can only serve the industry better by providing a standardized way of demonstrating mastery of a particular area?

Last edited: