Wiki z34 and gestational codes

karmista

Best answers
In the 2015 icd 10 book I have it says that gestational codes go with only Chapter 15 codes. Someone has brought to my attention in the icd 10 2016 book it's says you can have gestational codes with z34 codes? Is this correct.

Thank you,

April

Are you talking about the weeks of gestation codes? From what I understand. These only apply to complication of pregnancy or the codes that begin with O. Sine the Z34 code has the trimester as well as no complication it should not be necessary to apply these codes.

If you are using a O code this would indicate some type of complication and therefore Z34 would not be applied as relates to a normal pregnancy.

I hope this helps.

Chapter 15 in 2015 book state you can use gestational age codes with the O codes However O codes cannot be coded with Z34. This is 2 separate guidelines. Its not saying you can only use gestational w/ O codes.

There were no guideline changes nor any code instructional changes from the 2015 version to the 2016 code set. I am not sure why your book would make it appeare to be. The Z3A codes are required for all O codes, even though most of those do also require a trimester be specified. The Z34 however has no such requirement. It is more than likely not incorrect to add the Z3A.- code to the Z34.- code, but it is not required.