The Certified Internal Medicine Credential was developed by a team of leading internal medicine coding professionals. Coders with the CIMC™ credential have demonstrated sufficient experience and expertise in internal medicine coding.
A CIMC™ is proficient in the following competencies:
- Ability to read and abstract physician office notes and procedure notes to apply correct ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II and modifier coding assignments
- Evaluation and management (both the 1995 and 1997 Documentation Guidelines)
- Rules and regulations of Medicare billing including (but not limited to) incident to, teaching situations, shared visits, consultations and global surgery
- Coding of ancillary procedures performed in an internal medicine practice such as venipuncture, injections, vaccinations, etc.
- Coding of minor surgical procedures performed in an internal medicine practice such as trigger point injections, joint injections, skin tag removals, etc.
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology