Wiki Apprentice Application Turn-Around Time

R

rstrouptrq

I'm not sure exactly where to ask this but when I tried searching first, a lot of threads on this topic were discussed in this particular forum. I recently passed my CPC exam and was able to obtain 2 letters attesting my years of coding and billing experience. AAPC Apprentice Removal Dept. no longer accepts emails so I submitted my request through their website. They say to allow 4 weeks for the request to be reviewed. Does it really take them that long now? I read from people just a couple of years ago that got a response within a day or two. I didn't get any kind of confirmation via email and there is apparently no way to track status on the website. Something I feel AAPC could improve upon.

Just curious what the experience has been recently. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly where to ask this but when I tried searching first, a lot of threads on this topic were discussed in this particular forum. I recently passed my CPC exam and was able to obtain 2 letters attesting my years of coding and billing experience. AAPC Apprentice Removal Dept. no longer accepts emails so I submitted my request through their website. They say to allow 4 weeks for the request to be reviewed. Does it really take them that long now? I read from people just a couple of years ago that got a response within a day or two. I didn't get any kind of confirmation via email and there is apparently no way to track status on the website. Something I feel AAPC could improve upon.

Just curious what the experience has been recently. Thanks.
I've been wondering the same thing. It would be nice to know if the letters have been received.

I've been wondering the same thing. It would be nice to know if the letters have been received.
Well I got a response at midnight last night that they reviewed my application and only approved 1 of my 2 letters. My first letter came from my current manager and they approved it. The second letter came from a coworker who was also the provider I previously coded and billed for. AAPC declined it stating that it was "not issued and signed from management person". The website clearly states only 1 letter is required from an employer and the other letter can be from a co-worker. So now I'm confused what they want.

Well I got a response at midnight last night that they reviewed my application and only approved 1 of my 2 letters. My first letter came from my current manager and they approved it. The second letter came from a coworker who was also the provider I previously coded and billed for. AAPC declined it stating that it was "not issued and signed from management person". The website clearly states only 1 letter is required from an employer and the other letter can be from a co-worker. So now I'm confused what they want.
That's terrible. It doesn't state that both letters have to be from management. I have one on letter head from my current manager, the other is one of the Providers I have coded for over 20 years. She didn't put it on letterhead. I've been coding for the same office so long! I've never had my CPC, but now Management has decided it's necessary.
I sure hope you get this figured out. It was stressful enough to take the exam...then wait for results...then get two letters...then wait for a response...and then be told it's not right! :(

That's terrible. It doesn't state that both letters have to be from management. I have one on letter head from my current manager, the other is one of the Providers I have coded for over 20 years. She didn't put it on letterhead. I've been coding for the same office so long! I've never had my CPC, but now Management has decided it's necessary.
I sure hope you get this figured out. It was stressful enough to take the exam...then wait for results...then get two letters...then wait for a response...and then be told it's not right! :(
Agreed! I spoke with customer service this morning and they think the issue might be due to the fact that the "co-worker" letter is also the provider and AAPC staff is only authorized to accept letters from managers and coworkers. First off, where does it stipulate that on their website and secondly, who better than the provider would know and understand our responsibilities? Definitely seems like they're splitting hairs on that one. Anyway, they said I could resubmit my application and they'd reconsider the circumstances after the clarification I provided them. So, hopefully that's good news because my 8 years experience should certainly count for something!

Wish I knew how to reach someone at AAPC of higher authority than a CSR though, just to be sure this is made right...

Agreed! I spoke with customer service this morning and they think the issue might be due to the fact that the "co-worker" letter is also the provider and AAPC staff is only authorized to accept letters from managers and coworkers. First off, where does it stipulate that on their website and secondly, who better than the provider would know and understand our responsibilities? Definitely seems like they're splitting hairs on that one. Anyway, they said I could resubmit my application and they'd reconsider the circumstances after the clarification I provided them. So, hopefully that's good news because my 8 years experience should certainly count for something!

Wish I knew how to reach someone at AAPC of higher authority than a CSR though, just to be sure this is made right...
That was the same thought I had when I asked one of my providers! Who knows better than the person I actually code for. I'm guessing I will have the same problem. I might ask one of my previous managers to write one and be ready when they won't accept the MD's letter.
There should be some leniency to the coders that passed the exam and have many years of experience.
Thanks for the update. :) Good Luck 🍀🤞

I was completely unaware that I had to do anything so you guys were steps ahead of me. I did find this website today. https://www.medicalbillingandmedicalcoding.com/certifiedprofessionalcoderapprentice.html
I am going to be working on getting at least one letter from my current employer as I have been learning as I go with coding prior to completing a program and passing my test, then also the certificate from the program that I completed my coding learning with. Hopeful that it will be enough.

That was the same thought I had when I asked one of my providers! Who knows better than the person I actually code for. I'm guessing I will have the same problem. I might ask one of my previous managers to write one and be ready when they won't accept the MD's letter.
There should be some leniency to the coders that passed the exam and have many years of experience.
Thanks for the update. :) Good Luck 🍀🤞
Good news! I got an email early this morning and they approved the second letter from the provider after all and now my Apprentice status is removed! The whole process is a bit of a headache but I'll credit them for resolving my issue so quickly.

Hello Guys,

Can you please help? I received this letter from my office. Is this enough or do I need something else, like maybe from a co-worker?

If the answer is affirmative, can you provide me with the necessary information to send to AAPC?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1701399356319.png
    1701399356319.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello Guys,

Can you please help? I received this letter from my office. Is this enough or do I need something else, like maybe from a co-worker?

If the answer is affirmative, can you provide me with the necessary information to send to AAPC?

Thank you in advance.
I can't speak for AAPC, obviously, but this letter appears to be acceptable from your employer. Make sure it is on their company letterhead or they won't accept it. You will need a second letter from a co-worker, basically attesting to the same thing. To my knowledge, AAPC does not require that letter to be on company letterhead.

You will submit this information on the AAPC website. They used to have an inbox but that is no more.