Wiki Carpal Boss Excision

coderguy1939

Best answers
I'd like to know what procedure codes other coders use for excision of a carpal boss located at the carpometacarpal joint. I can find codes for the carpal or metacarpal bones but not for the carpometacarpal joint. Thanks.

There is no op report. This is a request for a CPT code for preauthorization for bone excision at the carpometacarpal joint for carpal bossing.

Per Orthro coding alert (Jan. 2006)

READER QUESTIONS: Look to 26230 for Carpal Bossing

Question: Which CPT and ICD-9 codes should I report when the surgeon documents carpal bossing?

Texas Subscriber

Answer: Because a carpometacarpal boss occurs at the base of the second and third metacarpals, it constitutes a “partial” excision. Therefore, you should report 26230 (Partial excision [craterization, saucerization, or diaphysectomy] bone [e.g., osteomyelitis]; metacarpal) when the surgeon documents carpal bossing.

For the diagnosis code, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand recommends 718.04 (Articular cartilage disorder; hand).

If your surgeon thinks that 733.99 (Other and unspecified disorders of bone and cartilage; other) is more appropriate for your patient's case, you should select that code instead.