Wiki HCPCS book and CPC EXAM

Kholloway

Best answers
Good Morning,
I am scheduled to take the CPC EXAM in a few weeks and I don't have the HCPCS book. The exam layout states that 5 questions are designated for this book. Did you find this book helpful for the EXAM? The reason I ask is because its over $50 and I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to purchase, unless necessary. Thank you so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant remember if I used it on anything but the HCPCS section of the test. There are HCPCS modifier that are used on CPT codes which may be nice to have. It also depends how well you do on other sections of the test as 5 questions can make a difference between a pass or a fail. Can you borrow one from someone, It's better to have a 2015 version than none at all. Some proctors may bring extra books. I know at my exam they had one up front in case any one needed it when they got to those questions

I cant remember if I used it on anything but the HCPCS section of the test. There are HCPCS modifier that are used on CPT codes which may be nice to have. It also depends how well you do on other sections of the test as 5 questions can make a difference between a pass or a fail. Can you borrow one from someone, It's better to have a 2015 version than none at all. Some proctors may bring extra books. I know at my exam they had one up front in case any one needed it when they got to those questions

Thank you so much. If anything I will see if I can buy a 2015 for cheaper. Id rather have it JIC and I NEED those 5 questions. Have a great day.

Yes! get a book!

Good Morning,
I am scheduled to take the CPC EXAM in a few weeks and I don't have the HCPCS book. The exam layout states that 5 questions are designated for this book. Did you find this book helpful for the EXAM? The reason I ask is because its over $50 and I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to purchase, unless necessary. Thank you so much!!

YES!!! you will need a current HCPCS book. There will be a section of at least 10 questions on your exam re: HCPCS codes and guidelines. Beg, borrow, or buy one - whichever is doable for you. It is clearly stated that examinees' are expected to bring the correct and current versions of all books needed for the exam. It is your responsibility to be properly prepared for your exam.

Do you have a classmate you can borrow one from who is not testing on the same day? Or if you are working in an office already, ask if you can borrow the office copy for your exam day.

Don't rely on the proctors to bring extra books! It is not their responsibility to do this - some may, some may not. While I do try to bring at least one set of current books when I am proctoring, just in case, not every proctor is in a position themselves to do this. Nor could I ever possibly provide enough to go around if several people came unprepared w correct books. If you are still unable to obtain a book the week before your exam, then contact your 1st proctor and ask about this first.

Also - As a proctor, I would NEVER allow sharing of a book during an exam - too much left up to chance to jeopardize the validity of the exam for everyone. What if someone wrote an answer or stuck a note in the book (intentional or not) that I/proctors didn't see and then was passed on to someone else who shared the book? That could potentially invalidate the exam for all involved, or the entire group, and possibly lead to sanctions against the proctor(s) and hosting chapter for not controlling the exam. IF I loan a book to someone for the exam, it stays with them - only them - for the entire exam.

HTH, and good luck on your exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look on Amazon, and they have ones that are slightly used for a much cheaper discount, if you cannot borrow one from an office that you may be working at.

Yes you will need it

I took the Exam on 2-20 and there were a few questions specific to HCPCS II, and every question correct counts towards a better score. This book is something you will utilize in coding, so it's something you should own anyway. I used the 2015 version which worked just fine. Good luck, and bring snacks and water, the exam allows 5 hours 40 min to finish.

Good Morning,