Wiki Specialty CEUs

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
If anyone out there has specialty credentials, would you mind sharing how you've gotten specialty-specific CEUs? I'm fast approaching my renewal date and I'm preparing myself for the inevitable loss of my specialty credentials. It's disappointing to me, as I worked extremely hard to get them. I have twice as many CEUs necessary to retain my core credential (CPC). My employer doesn't pay for my education, so it's all up to me. I am unable to hop on a plane and travel halfway across the country to a conference/seminar. I grab any specialty CEU that's offered that I can afford. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much. I have to be honest---if I would have know how difficult it would be to retain these credentials, I probably wouldn't have even bothered. I almost feel like I've wasted my efforts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:(

If anyone out there has specialty credentials, would you mind sharing how you've gotten specialty-specific CEUs? I'm fast approaching my renewal date and I'm preparing myself for the inevitable loss of my specialty credentials. It's disappointing to me, as I worked extremely hard to get them. I have twice as many CEUs necessary to retain my core credential (CPC). My employer doesn't pay for my education, so it's all up to me. I am unable to hop on a plane and travel halfway across the country to a conference/seminar. I grab any specialty CEU that's offered that I can afford. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much. I have to be honest---if I would have know how difficult it would be to retain these credentials, I probably wouldn't have even bothered. I almost feel like I've wasted my efforts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:(

Sorry to hear your having trouble getting specialty CEU's, lucky for me my specialty credential is E/M and I am able to get lots of free CEU's thru my local Medicare carrier, I have also checked out other Local Chapter websites for any CEU's I can obtain and have found a "home away" from home chapter in the Baltimore, MD chapter who offer roundtables in alot of other specialties the most recent one was for coding endoscopies which for you could have counted towards you GenSurgery.

If I were in your position I'd call AAPC and explain your situation maybe they can point you in a direction in order to obtain specialty CEU's. I know there are others out there who have the same speciality credential as you and hopefully some of them will chime in on this.

I wish you the best of luck.

Treetoad,

There are plenty of FREE CEUs to be found for orthopedics and you may be able to use them for general surgery also. Check out www.spineline.com, www.bostonscientific.com, www.medtronic.com. There are plenty more also for other specialties. Between them they probably have 2-3 free CEUs per month.

Many medical device companies offer reimbursement pages on their websites, along with continuing education resources, and free CEUs for some of their resources. including free webinars. I use these many times for learning purposes and the free CEUs come in handy also. Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Also, some of those "extra" CEUs you have, may count as "speciality" also. You would have to choose how to use them as you can't have them be "general" AND "specialty" but thats another idea also.

Hope this helps.

I have to agree

I am having a horrible time finding specialty CEUs, and I can't find anything on the site that really tells us what even qualifies as a specialty CEU. If I had known what a pain this was going to be I definitely would have saved my money and used it to buy coding-related books or something instead. I will let you know if I find anything that might be of help to you.

I dont know if you receive any of the Pink Sheets through decision health or not, but I get my ortho ceu's from the Ortho Pink Sheet.