Wiki Same mass multiple techniques used Colonoscopy

davacek

New
Best answers
Hello I need help, I know if you code a colonoscopy and multiple techniques are used to remove DIFFERENT masses/polyps you code each technique and add mod 59 to the others of less value.

BUT my question is what if its the SAME mass and they used 2 techniques to remove the same mass. Can you still code with the 2 codes?

Example can I still code
45380-59

or since its the same large mass use only

Thank you

If you are following NCCI, you would code only one of the techniques.
From 2023 NCCI Correct Coding Policy Manual, Chapter VI, DIgestive System, pg VI - 15:
25. The NCCI PTP edit with Column One CPT code 45385 (Flexible colonoscopy with removal of tumor(s), polyp(s), or lesion(s) by snare technique) and Column Two CPT code 45380 (Flexible colonoscopy with single or multiple biopsies) may be appropriately bypassed using modifier 59 or XS if the 2 procedures are performed on separate lesions. Use of modifier 59 or XE is appropriate if the 2 procedures are performed at separate patient encounters.
Hope that helps.

If you are following NCCI, you would code only one of the techniques.
From 2023 NCCI Correct Coding Policy Manual, Chapter VI, DIgestive System, pg VI - 15:
25. The NCCI PTP edit with Column One CPT code 45385 (Flexible colonoscopy with removal of tumor(s), polyp(s), or lesion(s) by snare technique) and Column Two CPT code 45380 (Flexible colonoscopy with single or multiple biopsies) may be appropriately bypassed using modifier 59 or XS if the 2 procedures are performed on separate lesions. Use of modifier 59 or XE is appropriate if the 2 procedures are performed at separate patient encounters.
Hope that helps.
Thank you very much this does help