Wiki Should I leave my comfortable but monotonous low pay job for something better? What would you do?

pke1991

Contributor
Best answers
So, I'm a full time risk adjustment medical coder approaching my two-year work anniversary. This is the first job I've been able to keep this long so it feels weird that I'm happily bowing out and not desperate to quit immediately like previous jobs ive held.

It's a relatively easy and straightforward job...So easy to the point I am now bored to tears and this boredom sometimes causes me to make silly mistakes that I've never made before(big sign that I should go imo).

Because I feel I am in need of a change and more stimulation/difficulty etc, I recently applied to a coding auditor position within the company I'm currently at, but because I am slower than all the other applicants, I'm confident I won't be considered; which is fine, as I think I'm best as a coder anyways. And i don't feel its fair for me to get an auditing position simply because I am bored over someone that wants it for better reasons etc.

Another reason I want to leave my job is because of the low pay: 20.70 an hour. We get yearly bonuses but I don't think its enough to keep me for another year. I'll be moving to New Jersey soon (more expensive city in the US) and in general, I would just like to make more money, especially since I have seen more lucrative risk adjustment positions online.

Even though I know what I want: more money and stimulation, I also understand the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

I'm mostly afraid that I'll leave my comfortable, easy but low pay job for something bad. I have health insurance benefits with this job, so that unnerves me as well. This is my first and only coding job so I feel very strange even considering to leave it, as I'm very used to it and its all I have known in this field so far. I suppose though I want and need change, I fear it, if that makes sense.

I was considering not leaving my full time job and just taking temporary/contract coding positions, as I've seen really lucrative positions where they want coders to work at least 20 hours a week...but I feel like working a contracting position on top of 40 hours a week is just asking for burnout and not wise for me.

I'd like to know what yall would do in my position. Am I being greedy for wanting to leave my comfortable easy job? Is it worth taking the chance? Would it somehow be easier or more realistic to just work a contracting position on the weekends/on the side somehow and not leave my current place?

Would appreciate any responses and insight.

edit for additional info: I also have a CPC cert, but I haven't had an outpatient coding position yet. Have not used CPT manual since the exam.

Hi pke1991,
I am clearly not here to judge on 20.70 an hour but if you are pleased with it, just please simply continue on. I'm more of a stick of flipping dynamite ~ Risk adjustment after two years deserves so much more (completely in my opinion from 20.70 ~ that should be a clearly $25-30) depending on what you are doing; that in my opinion is like you either love what you are doing or polish off your resume for the next opportunity.
That is your full decision.
Thank you for listening and have a fantastic evening!
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Hi pke1991,
I am clearly not here to judge on 20.70 an hour but if you are pleased with it, just please simply continue on. I'm more of a stick of flipping dynamite ~ Risk adjustment after two years deserves so much more (completely in my opinion from 20.70 ~ that should be a clearly $25-30) depending on what you are doing; that in my opinion is like you either love what you are doing or polish off your resume for the next opportunity.
That is your full decision.
Thank you for listening and have a fantastic evening!
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT
Thanks so much for your response. Deep inside, I know what it is I have to do. I'm going to pursue another position. As for what I do: I code charts from several queues: home, virtual/telephonic and medicaid. I only use one coding manual, so it's pretty straightforward for me. I understand the trumping concept, I understand the ICD 10 CM mappings layout. Have no issue following along with company guidelines, coding clinic and manual guidelines. I know how to properly query a provider if need be without leading. My completion and accuracy is generally over 97%. Some other things I'm missing from my resume but I feel that's the generally gist of my role.

I'm hoping overall that can secure me 25-30$ an hour LOL. Your comment gives me much motivation and hope. Thanks again.

Here's my two cents.
I've never left a position over pay. Every position I left was because I did not want to be doing the responsibilities of that position. Much earlier in my career, I was working billing at a physician's office that decided to outsource. They moved me to front desk at my same rate. As a biller and being there for about 8 years, I was making more than anyone else at the front desk, but hated the work. My hubby said "Who cares? They are paying you $5-$8 more an hour than everyone else." But I was dreading going to work every day. I left that for another position at virtually the same pay, but doing work that interested and stimulated me.
Everyone has their own personal opinion of what makes them satisfied in a job. Some it's stimulation, some it's the paycheck, some it's setting your own hours, some it's remote work, some it's opportunity for growth, some it's the benefits and perks. Just like with relationships, what is super important to one person might be meaningless to the next. I get that almost everyone has at some point had a job they didn't care for just to pay the bills. But if you don't like the work AND feel undervalued in your paycheck, there is no reason to stay. Life is too short to spend 40 waking hours every week doing something you don't enjoy if it's not a stepping stone to your real goal. If I liked the employer, depending on my relationship with my manager, I might discuss this first before looking elsewhere to see if there's an alternate role that better matched what I was looking for.

It all depends on what you really want in the future. You really need to ask yourself what your long term goals are. I know plenty of people that are completely satisfied staying in the same job and getting small raises through the years. To them, that comfort of knowing your job and feeling safe outweighs the fact that they may be bored at times. There is nothing wrong with being that person, if it is really who you are. For me, personally, being that person would drive me crazy, it just isn't where my long term goals put me. While I don't have exact goals, my intention is always to learn more, gain more experience, and keep making more money. Learning stimulates my mind and when I stop learning in a job, and start to feel too comfortable, I know it is time to go (and making more money is always an added bonus). It is scary to leave a job you know, and to jump into something completely new with all new people. I've worked in some horrible places, with horrible managers, but I have also worked in some phenomenal places with some of the best managers a person could ask for. It is scary to think that you could be leaving one of those great managers/jobs and getting into a horrible position, it could make your life miserable. There are a few things to consider about that though. First, even in the worst places, it still taught me something. I still gained some sort of experience to carry with me. Second, there is no job that forces you to stay. If you hate it, work there until you find something else. At the very least, that horrible job has helped you gain some more experience and that makes you more marketable. The more you know, the more you have to offer another job and the easier that new job is to find! Plus, you may find some aspect of coding that you hadn't even considered, but that you really love. Be honest with yourself about what you want and don't allow fear to stand in your way. You could regret that someday!