Contributing to Healthcare Business Monthly
If you have news or know how that can benefit other healthcare business professionals, share it with AAPC’s 200,000 members by becoming an author for Healthcare Business Monthly or the AAPC Knowledge Center. You don’t have to be an experienced writer: Our editors will work with you to translate your ideas to the page and screen.
Along with the satisfaction of helping your peers, authoring an article is a great way to raise your professional profile. And, it can earn you continuing education units (CEUs) to support your AAPC credentials.
To submit an article, please fill out the form on the right and attach your contribution. Our editors will contact you once we review the submission.
Things to know about writing/submitting an article to AAPC:
- Publishing of any submission is solely at the discretion of AAPC. Some submissions may not be accepted or published.
- Submitting an article gives AAPC the rights to publish and edit, if needed. AAPC retains the rights to submitted content.
- Completed article must be original content, written by the author. The majority of the article should be the author’s own words and thoughts
- Cite any sources from which you quoted or got guidance.
- Ensure content has not been published elsewhere.
- If you mention any other contributors to the article, you must get their documented permission before submitting the article.
- You are responsible for seeking your employer’s documented permission, if required, before submitting an article.
- Submit article in Microsoft Word document or Adobe PDF format (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) only.
- Articles should be between 500-2000 words
- We prefer instructional articles, and the intro paragraph is usually written problem and solution style and summarizes the article.
- If you’re submitting a coding article, it’s helpful to provide a coding scenario or two so readers understand how to apply the codes.
- If we choose your article for publication, it will be edited by our content team. While editing, we'll check grammar and sentence structure, clinical and coding accuracy, eliminate redundancy, fill in gaps, add titles and subheadings when necessary, and move around content for the best flow. After our team has all reviewed your article, we will send you an editorial proof before the article publishes. If we have any questions about your article before that, we'll be in touch.
CEUs will be awarded based on word count submitted, if we choose to publish your article.
Additional Elements Required With Submission
- A 50-word bio about yourself that includes your credentials, career information, schooling, and local chapter affiliation.
- A digital photo of you. We like to include a digital photo (headshot) of our authors to accompany the author bio, so our members can put a name to the face.
- For AAPC members to get the most education out of articles, we ask authors to send test yourself questions for members to earn online CEUs. Please send 2 multiple choice Test Yourself questions (with the answer clearly marked and rationale included) that pertain to information you feel is important for our members to know. The questions will be used toward the total CEUs you are awarded for writing the article.
To learn more or to get started, contact:
Leesa A. Israel, BA, CPC, CUC, CEMC
CPPM, CMBS, AAPC MACRA Proficient
Head of Publishing, Editorial & Technology
Upload Your Article
BE SURE TO PUT YOUR NAME AND MEMBER NUMBER ON YOUR ARTICLE DRAFT