Alternative Payment Models (APMs)
An APM is a payment approach that gives added incentive payments to provide high-quality and cost-efficient care. APMs can apply to a specific clinical condition, a care episode, or a population.
Advanced APMs are a subset of APMs, and let practices earn more for taking on some risk related to their patients' outcomes. You may earn a 5% incentive payment by going further in improving patient care and taking on risk through an Advanced APM.
In 2017, the following models are Advanced APMs:
- Comprehensive ESRD Care (CEC) - Two-Sided Risk
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+)
- Next Generation ACO Model
- Shared Savings Program - Track 2
- Shared Savings Program - Track 3
- Oncology Care Model (OCM) - Two-Sided Risk
- Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement (CJR) Payment Model (Track 1- CEHRT)
You can earn a 5% Medicare incentive payment in 2019 for qualified Advanced APM participation during 2017.