Approved Manuals for Use During Examination
- Your choice of ICD-10-CM (Exams will test ICD-10 effective January 1, 2016).
Electronic devices with an on/off switch (cell phones, smart phones, tablets, etc) are not allowed into the examination room Failure to comply with this policy may result in disqualification of your exam.
Any officially published errata for these manuals may also be used No other manuals are allowed Each code set is updated annually; it is essential that examinees use the current calendar year's coding manuals when taking the certification exam Questions on the CRC test do not require the use of any other outside material.
Individuals with a solid understanding of coding and reimbursement fundamentals, anatomy and terminology should be able to answer each examination question through application of the ICD-10-CM codebook or through careful reasoning and recall.
Approved Exam Manuals
Non-Approved Manuals for Use During Examination
Due to the advantages of additional information and/or ease of use, the following books cannot be used during the exam:
Risk Adjustment Coding Certification Requirements
- We recommend having an associate's degree
- Pay examination fee at the time of application submission
- Maintain current membership with the AAPC
- New members must submit membership payment with examination application
- Renewing members must have a current membership at the time of submission and when exam results are released
- All exams will be reported with exact scores and areas of study (65% or less)
We strongly recommend that the candidate have at least two years of experience in risk adjustment coding or a risk adjustment coding course. Membership is required to be renewed annually and 36 Continuing Education Units (CEU's) must be submitted every two years for verification and authentication of expertise.
Each examination is separate and distinct from one another To obtain all certifications, each examination must be taken separately and passed Continuing Education Unit (CEU) submissions are required for all certifications For CEU requirements please see our CEU Information page.