• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

PST and Bladder instillations

carriganm

Contributor
Best answers
Hello there! I am in need of assistance on how to bill the below procedures...

Procedure #1: What CPT and HCPCS am I going to bill?

PST: Informed consent given. Pt. placed in dorsolithotomy position. After cleansing patient with iodine swabs, bladder was cathed using a straight cath. 40 cc of Solution A was instilled in the bladder. After two minutes, patient is asked to rate the discomfort and urgency on a scale of 0-4 with 4 being the worst they could imagine. Water is drawn off and 40 cc of Solution B was instilled into the bladder. After two minutes, patient is again asked to rate the discomfort and urgency on a scale of 0-4, considering their baseline.
Solution A: Normal Saline Solution
Ratings: Discomfort2 Urgency 0
B: Potassium solution: 20 cc KCL, 80 cc normal saline
Ratings: Discomfort4 Urgency 4
Treatment Rescue Solution: 4 cc Heparin, 10,000 units/cc, 5 cc lidocaine 1%, 10 cc sodium bicarb, 5 cc Marcaine.
Rescue Solution was instilled in the bladder and pt. was instructed to retain fluid for at least 1/2 hour, but up to 2 hours before urinating.

Procedure #2: What CPT and/or HCPCS am I going to bill?
Pt placed in dorsolitotomy position. After cleansing with betadine swabs x 3, pt. was catherized with a straight cath. Treatment Rescue solution: 4 cc Heparin, 10,000 units/cc, 5 cc lidocaine 1%, 10 cc sodium bicarb, 5 cc Marcaine was instilled into the bladder. Pt. instructed to leave solution in bladder for 1/2 hour to 2 hours before urinating. Pt. tolerated procedure well.