Get the experience you need to work in the real-world with Practicode.
Practicode is a web-based training program allowing new medical coders to gain the confidence of coding 660 cases in a variety of specialties. Complete the program while training for your certification exam to remove one of the two required years of your credential’s apprentice designation. Practicode will help you become a full credential holder faster than ever, separating you from the crowd of new coders.
Practicode’s web-based format allows you gain experience at your own pace, in your own space-when you want.
- Gain experience faster than you would with an on-the-clock job
- Code from hundreds of real medical records, redacted from HIPAA compliance
- Receive immediate feedback to learn specialty specific intricacies only real coding experts know
- Get the confidence you need to hit a home run in your next job interview
The program is comprised of three modules, each containing 200 real redacted medical records. Students must successfully complete a 20-case assessment at the end of each module, passing with a proficiency of 70% or higher.
This section outlines our general expectations for you as a student in the Practicode program. If you anticipate any problems in meeting these expectations or should you require assistance or special accommodations in order for you to meet the expectations, please contact the Practicode/AAPC Learning Center team or your respective instructor.
Practicode is comprised of three modules, for a total of 600 real redacted medical records. Students must pass with a proficiency of 70% or higher, each 20-case assessment at the end of each module.
- Technology skills: These are the basic ones that you will need to participate in the course content.
- Use of email to communicate with the Practicode Response Team, you should be able to send and receive email attachments.
- Using Internet to access online course materials and any additional online resources you may want to use to complete the coding content.
- AAPC RVU calculator (link available in the course)
- Google Searching or whatever internet search tool works for you. (researching coding, procedures, tools to understand how procedures are performed)
- Interpersonal skills for participating as a member of an online learning community: A key component of your Practicode coursework may be the need to participate in email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and phone discussions with Practicode experts. During these communications it is expected that you will utilize "netiquette" (appropriate ways and tone of communicating online) of being an online student.
Completion of a professional coding course, or 1 year of ProFee coding experience recommended as a prerequisite.
Required Code Books
- AMA's CPT® Professional, previous or current year
- ICD-10-CM, previous or current year
- HCPCS Level II, previous or current year
- High-speed Internet access with supported computer operating systems and Internet/Web browsers
- Adobe Flash Player (free download available)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download available)
- For best experience, use of a mobile device is not recommended
By purchasing any online course and other items, I certify that I have read and agree to the online course Terms and Conditions, the Course Requirements, and the Refund Policy.
The complete online course must be completed within 18 months, whereas individual modules must be completed within 1 year from date of purchase (additional time extensions may be purchased for $29.95 per month). Date of purchase is considered your course start date. After your order is processed you will receive further email instruction on course access.
Practicode Purchase Policy: Practicode is for individual use only and may not be copied, printed, shared, or disseminated. Each Practicode purchase entitles the user to one online connection. The use of Practicode for a group or more than the purchasing individual is prohibited. Only individuals owning a Practicode purchase, whether subscription or individual, will be given credit for Practicode's completion.
- Availability of instructors: The availability and responsiveness of Experts to online communication varies, depending on a number of factors such as the volume of questions submitted, and the research required to properly respond to the question. While after hours responses will occur; most replies will take between 24-48 hours upon receipt of the question. Questions submitted after hours, over the weekend, or during American national holiday’s will be responded to on the next business day based on volume of questions submitted it may take more than the first business day.
Note: While emails are encouraged should you need assistance, Practicode is considered a non-coached course and emailed questions should be limited and are not advised for each case. If you find that you have feedback for multiple cases, but no coding questions please summarize your feedback and send as one email rather than individually. In the case of phone or online, although we may not always be able to accommodate you, you should email your “in-person” request to the Practicode team, the available response team member will work with you to schedule a time to hold a call.
- Availability of administrative and support staff: Our support staff are available during the work week to provide assistance and support.
In the case of technology support, AAPC does offer a Help Desk email that is staffed from 8am – 5pm mountain standard time (MST) Monday – Thursday and from 8am-4pm MST on Friday (but not around the clock).
- Clear communication from Practicode Experts: Expect that Experts will convey their answers and feedback in a clear fashion.