September 15, 2021 11:00am MT
Learn more about this event
Each year the Centers for Disease Control hosts meetings regarding new codes and revisions to existing codes in the ICD-10-CM codes. Specialty societies, drug companies and individuals are all allowed to submit proposals to the committee. Meeting minutes, proposals and PowerPoint presentations are all found on the CDC website for the semi annual meetings. This process can take several meetings before the format and wording of the proposed code and/or changes are approved. Generally, the final product becomes a part of the ICD-10-CM changes for the new year with and effective date of October 1 of the prior year. There is also the possibility of a mid-year release as we saw with the release of U07.1 for the COVID-19 virus. hat is not the norm.
For 2022, ICD-10-CM has 72,748 codes. This includes 159 additions, 32 deleted codes and 20 revisions. Many of the “deleted” codes are actually codes that became sub-categories as that section of codes was expanded. For example, R05 – Cough was a code in 2021. In 2022, R05 is no longer a valid code but has become a new Sub-section with 6 new 4 digit codes listed beneath it. This section expansion is one of the great properties of the ICD-10-CM system.
In addition to the expansion of codes for Cough (R05), this workshop will include in-depth information for 2022 in the following coding areas:
- Codes for bilateral malignant conditions of ovaries, both primary and secondary
- A new code for Unspecified depression
- New codes for abnormal findings for neonatal screening tests
- New codes for Traumatic Brain injuries
- New sub-section on Poisoning by synthetic cannabinoids
The ICD-10-CM Guidelines may also undergo changes each year both in the Conventions and Chapter Specific sections. Some are minor verbiage changes to a section but other additions and changes offer significant instructions to the user. For example, in 2022, we continue to see clarifications regarding the coding of patients with, with exposure to and for screening of the COVID-19 virus.
Two ways to register for this event
This event was recommended by 95.53 % of your peers.You rated this event:
- Individual access only
- 1 CEU
- Online streaming via desktop or mobile downloading for offline viewing
- Access broadcast, downloadable podcast (MP3), presentation slides, Q&A and any other event materials
- 40+ live webinars each year (including this event)
- 1 CEU per webinar (40+ annually)
- Online streaming via desktop or mobile device, or downloading for offline viewing
- Access to a growing number of on-demand events (includes over 160+ on-demand recordings)
- A library of topics to choose from: coding, billing, auditing, compliance, and practice management, covering more than 20 specialties
- For more details visits our annual subscription page