Getting to Know the Social Determinants of Health
November 18, 2020 11:00am MT
Learn more about this event
Social determinants of health (SDoH) are the conditions in which people live, learn, work, and play that affect a wide range of health and quality-of life-risks and outcomes. This webinar will provide tips and guidance on identifying SDoH, screening patients, documenting the SDoH and tying them into billing. We will also cover the appropriate ICD-10-CM codes to use when identifying SDoH and discuss how SDoH may impact a provider’s medical decision making.
Why is this topic important?
• SDoH drive 80% of all health outcomes.
• The government has made SDoH a focus to prevent rising health costs and to improve overall current health conditions of patients.
• Understanding SDoH and documentation of the complexity of the patient condition as a result will be important to Evaluation and Management code selection for Office and Other Outpatient services effective 1/1/2021.
Who would benefit from this topic?
• Office managers, billers, coders, auditors, administrators, clinical support staff, providers, clinicians, social workers
• Everyone who comes into contact with a patient would benefit from learning this information.
What information or new skills will the attendee take away from this webinar?
• As insurance carriers begin to recognize the impact of social determinants on the health of patients, it will be important to understand how to identify them in your patient population, how to document for them and how to incorporate them into your billing.
• Knowledge of SDoH definitions and criteria
• Ideas for how to identify SDoH in your patient population
• Awareness of the numerous ICD-10-CM codes available for reporting of SDoH
• Understanding of the way that SDoH is incorporated into the new E/M codes
About The Author
Melissa Kirshner, CPC, CDEO, CRC, CPC-I
Melissa Kirshner, CPC, CRC, CPC-I, AAPC Fellow, is executive director of a physician organization in Southeast Michigan. She has more than 30 years of healthcare experience in billing, coding, compliance, education, and software development. As a certified PMCC instructor, she teaches billing and coding classes to prepare students for the CPC® exam. Kirshner is a founding member of the Novi, Mich., local chapter, and serves as treasurer.
Two ways to register for this event
This event was recommended by 96.30 % of your peers.You rated this event:
- Individual access only
- 1 CEU
- Online streaming via desktop or mobile downloading for offline viewing
- Access broadcast, downloadable podcast (MP3), presentation slides, Q&A and any other event materials
- 40+ live webinars each year (including this event)
- 1 CEU per webinar (40+ annually)
- Online streaming via desktop or mobile device, or downloading for offline viewing
- Access to a growing number of on-demand events (includes over 250+ on-demand recordings)
- A library of topics to choose from: coding, billing, auditing, compliance, and practice management, covering more than 20 specialties
- For more details visits our annual subscription page